“How to make yeast” is one of the phrases that Poles searched most often in the passing year 2020 according to Google Trends. We suspect that this was due to the lack of this product in most stores during the first “lockdown” in March and April. We were very interested in this slogan and we decided to supplement our website with this simple recipe using potatoes, beer and sugar, thanks to which everyone will be able to make their own more expensive homemade way.
The following ingredients are sufficient for the yeast needed to prepare a dough with approx. 1 kg of flour.
- 2 potatoes, medium size
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of light, unpasteurized beer.
- Boil the potatoes and drain.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to the potatoes and knead until smooth.
- Then add 2 teaspoons of beer and mix thoroughly.
- Put the resulting mass into a bowl, cover it with a clean cloth and leave it at room temperature for a few days.
We can bake, for example, bread from the yeast formed in this way. Of course, commercial yeast, known from stores, will not work out this way, but sometimes it is worth trying something new. The more that in today’s uncertain times, if yeast is not available on store shelves again, we will already be protected by the above recipe.